progress

Edward Kenway WIP

I made this costume back in 2013 and I never bothered to make a tutorial. I did take some in progress pics, so hopefully this will be of use to someone 🙂 Some general tips: use heavy and expensive material and weather your fabrics to make your costume as authentic as possible 🙂 Also: don’t be an idiot like me and take the time to correctly measure everything and do the math before you start cutting. The first version of the hood. I used a material that was surpringly close to burlap and that frayed in all the right places. It had a nasty smell to it though.Getting the hood to be nice and round was a skill I never quite mastered. These shoes were bought for like 20 Euro’s at a cheap shoe store. I weathered them with brown shoe polish. I love those early moments when you see things coming together for the first time. The pants were store bought, the shirt was an old blouse from my boyfriend. Ridiculously happy with the first wrist blade I got in. Bought it on Ebay. It was uncomfortable as hell. Those with thick wrists / lower arms should not attempt to wear these. Also be careful: the lock mechanism is not fail safe. I stabbed myself a couple of times ;’) For the hood, I used eye shadow to make it dirty. On the clothes, I used a mixture of brown face paint and a spray bottle to dilute the paint…

Read More

Harley Quinn WIP

In 2014 I started working on Harley Quinn’s costume from Batman Arkham Knight. This costume really helped me learn how to sew as I had to make an entire ruffled skirt from scratch. In addition, this costume includes leather work, wig alterations and other fun little tricks of the trade 🙂 I never made a real tutorial, but I did take some in progress pics. I’m hoping I can help someone with these 🙂   The leggings were constructed from two pairs of leggings from Forever 21: a red one and a blue one. I bought a bigger size on purpose because they shrink a bit when you take them apart and sew them back together again. Also, I wanted these to be as comfy as possible 🙂 The squares were painted on using Fabric Dye, outlined first with chalk and ironed into place. The bra I used was an old Marlies Dekkers bra. I hand sewed fabric over it to cover the cups and made my own bias tape out of fabric to top it off. Beware: the bigger your cups are, the harder this will be to get right! The skirt was made with a heavy duty cotton. First, I made a basic short pencil skirt with an elastic waist. Then I took long strips of fabric (make these longer than you want the actual showing strips to be because you need to hide the seams underneath each ruffled section) and wrinkled the fabric. I then sewed them…

Read More